Economies of Scale in the Container Fleet
• How has the fleet changed in the past decade?
• What does the fleet look like today?
• How are capital, voyage, and operational costs influenced by ship size?
• Economies of scale exist in all categories, although there may be a point of diminishing returns
• Greater economic conditions play a large role
• Consider externalities, particularly in regards to routes, infrastructure, and turn around time
• Trends have persisted over time, but there has been variability in recent years